On July 28, 1866, the U.S. Congress authorized six regiments of black troops, known as Buffalo Soldiers, to be enlisted into the U.S. Army. We have evidence supporting that a small Buffalo Soldier outpost was on the property. The outpost may no longer be visible due to fire, but its remnants still litter the ground. Our metal detecting efforts have discovered multiple horse bits, horseshoes, and even a Buffalo Soldier button in its vicinity. We believe the outpost was established to protect wagon trail settlers en route to Fort Stockton and or San Antonio.